About Me

My photo
Lifestyle branding for the guy-hot girl and the hot guy who loves her

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

What is Contemplative Rock + Roll?

Kat here.  The full working title is What is Contemplative Rock + Roll?: One Woman's Search to Figure Out What In the Hell She's Talking About.


I am a prophet of contemplative rock + roll.  According to Merriam Webster, a prophet is “one who utters divinely inspired revelations...one gifted with more than ordinary spiritual and moral insight.”  It’s not me, though, it’s the rock + roll working through me. 

I have known that my life’s work is to carry out a rock + roll campaign and I’ve meditated on what that could possibly mean.  In the last two years, it has become the specific crossroads where spiritual contemplation and rock + roll meet. 

I am coming to understand that I cannot wait any longer to start pursing this more actively and publicly than I have been.  I think I thought I had to understand it before I started sharing it, but when approaching mysticism, that’s probably not an effective technique.  

Contemplative rock + roll is life-saving, not life taking.  It’s not the rock + roll of sex, drugs and rock + roll, it’s not the killing kind.  Some people are on to this, but I don’t think anyone’s really talking about it - at least not with me.  I don’t think anyone’s brought the contemplation element into it as much as it is in my visions.  

Patterson Hood of the Drive-By Truckers stood on the stage of Gruene Hall a couple years ago and told a story I wish I had bootlegged about how rock + roll was the thing that kept him from turning up dead of self-destruction.  The line I remember, paraphrased, is, “And every day that I wake up, rock + roll saves my life again.”

That’s a good enough place to start this discussion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment